We wish to thank our many readers who took the time to email us with errata. If you find errata not listed on this page, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
. Remember to include the book title and edition.
The following errata is for the first printing. Corrections will be made for the second printing.
Note: You can determine which printing you have by looking at the bottom of the back of the second physical page in the book (page iv, but it has no page number). Just above the ISBN number is a list of numbers. For the first printing of the book, the list appears as follows:
10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
The last number in the list is the printing number. So the above list indicates printing 1 and the following list indicates printing 2:
10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2
- p. liii, Heading = The Deitel Buzz Online Free ...
- The words "online" and "free" converge. Perhaps a missing space?
- Several readers have reported a problem trying to run the first example of Chapter 1. We created that executable file with Microsoft Visual C++ .NET 2003. By default, executables produced with this version of C++ require the Microsoft .NET Framework version 1.1 to be installed on the client computer. You can fix this problem by installing the .NET framework 1.1 from:You can also download the ZIP file containing a version of the program compiled with Borland's command line C++ compiler.
- Page 19 in the "Running a C++ Application using GNU C++ with Linux", Step 1 reads:
The "\" should be changed to "/" as in the following:
- p. 109, Heading - Software Engineering Observation: Incorrect bug icon for this heading.
- Ch. 4, p. 167, Heading - Modeling Attributes: The fifth line in the first paragraph has a sentence beginning, "Recall from section 5.11...". The section mentioned should be 3.11, I think.
- On pp.244 and 245, the comments refer to a variable, studentMaximum, which appears actually to be the variable, maximumGrade.
- The Ex08_30 folder in the ch08 examples directory should be renamed to Ex08_29.
- Ex. 22.18 and Ex. 22.19 each display a code table, but the exercise numbers in the comments in the code are incorrect (currently say Ex. 22.19 and Ex. 22.20) and should also be Ex. 22.18 and Ex. 22.19.